Living Room Trim

living-room-trim.jpg
 Living Room Trim

Living Room Trim

 Trim Before

Trim Before

 Trim After

Trim After

 Plate Rail Above Window

Plate Rail Above Window

 Half Round Above Baseboard

Half Round Above Baseboard

 ~Angela :-)

~Angela :-)

Woo hoo! We have trim in the living room! Mr. Magpie took all day Saturday and totally rocked it out. I had had a fantasy that I would do it myself, and maybe I will for the next project, but with the holidays approaching I wanted to get it done fast. I suppose it seems silly to be renovating my living room right now, but I really wanted one room in my new house that looks pretty for the holidays. First we added crown molding. We were going to use the corner pieces that Kim suggested, but the ones that we had available locally were so bulky they made the rest of the room look weird. Plus we weren't sure how to deal with our floor-to-ceiling fireplace. Fortunately, figuring out the angles in the corner wasn't too bad. Next we ripped out the existing door case moldings, which were the skimpy plain ones from the 50's, and added new door trim. It's a simple design using stock molding that looks traditional yet clean. Here's before: And here's after: It still needs another coat of paint or two, but how cool is that? I wanted to do the same treatment around the big window, but we are planning to replace the windows maybe next year and I didn't want to have to rip it all out again. But the window looked so naked. Amazingly, though, I had a plate rail in the dining room that I had planned to take down because it was blocking the passageway, and it turned out to be exactly the right length, so we put that above the window. Yes, it was also painted coral. I fixed that. The best part is that now I have the perfect spot to start using Rhoda's awesome suggestions for decorating with plates! Finally we added a small piece of half-round about an inch above the existing baseboards. Originally I was going to rip out and replace the baseboards completely, again because they are so plain and skimpy, but the cost was just not worth it. I think this will look nice once it's painted and it was a fraction of the cost. I'll post a tutorial after the holidays for all of these projects, but meanwhile, I've got to figure out my paint!