The Rail Fence Quilt is Pinned
So my first "real" quilt, the rail fence quilt I'm calling Some Things Are Meant To Be is pinned. Completely. Whew! I can hardly believe it! I'm just so glad. It took a lot, lot, lot longer than I was expecting it to.
I pushed hard to get the top done, partly because I just wanted to, and partly because I needed my worktable back, and I thought I was doing so well. But my inexperience got the best of me when it came to pinning. I started by moving all the furniture out of my studio so I could spread the quilt out on the floor. That took forever. Then I pinned it with #2 bent quilting pins. I only had 100 or so, and that wasn't nearly enough, plus the #2 pins are way too big. I didn't want to move all the furniture again, and I wasn't sure what to do, but then I came across the pin-basting instructions in Harriet Hargrave's excellent book, "Heirloom Machine Quilting," which explains how to do the pinning on a work table. Woo hoo. One quick trip to the store later for 540 solid brass #0 safety pins (regular, not bent) and a Kwik Klip and I was off and running. You know, like a herd of turtles.
Here's the thing. Pinning 540 size #0 solid brass safety pins takes a long time, even with a Kwik Klip. My fingers and hands would get tired, and I could only work on it for so long. So I've had to do it in bits and chunks each night. Now that I know how long pinning takes, I can plan for that next time. Meanwhile, I'm ready to start quilting. I have been toying with various free-motion ideas (swirls/spirals/bubbles, that sort of thing), but I'm thinking I may just go with a nice, simple grid utility quilting that I can do with my walking foot. I have to sleep on it.
For now, hooray! My quilt is pinned! :-)